Launchpads is a social impact start-up developing cost-effective housing for community college students. Due primarily to non-academic barriers, 72% of the 5.8 million community college students in the United States will leave school before they complete their degrees. Our mission is to reduce the challenges that students face to success by providing accessible housing and an engaging living-learning community, facilitating their ability to reach their goals and realize the benefits of a college degree. We’re running a pilot program for the 2022-2023 school year in Newburgh, New York, with plans to scale once we’ve developed on a model.
As a key hire for an early-stage startup, the Resident Director will take the lead on designing and developing the living-learning environment of the campus. The main objective of this full-time, live-in position will be to cultivate an environment that fosters success and well-being for our residents. They will ideate and implement comprehensive programming to build community and empower students to achieve their potential; manage day-to-day residential operations; and oversee any future residential staff.
If you’re a higher education professional with an entrepreneurial spirit and lots of ideas for improving the experiences and outcomes of students, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
Living-Learning Environment Functions
- Cultivate a safe, comfortable, and positive environment in which students can achieve their academic and personal goals
- Create, execute, and assess the impact of social and educational initiatives on student and community development
- Serve as a visible and accessible resource and mentor for students
- Develop and implement applicable residence policies; utilize creative and appropriate disciplinary sanctions to address student conduct issues.
Administrative & Managerial Functions
- Lead resident recruitment efforts, including outreach, apartment showings, resident selection, & leasing
- Oversee all housing procedures, including room assignments and changes, roommate pairing and enforcement of the residency requirements
- Collaborate with facilities managers to maintain an environment conducive to learning
- Train, supervise, and evaluate Resident Assistants
- Daily oversight and management of a residence hall building, including but not limited to addressing crisis situations and preventing safety and security risks.
- Passionate about the success and development of students from traditionally underserved communities and lower socioeconomic backgrounds
- Self-starter that’s comfortable operating in an ambiguous environment and able to make smart decisions quickly using both data and strong emotional intelligence
- Extreme level of empathy and ability to connect with people from all walks of life
- High organizational and time-management skills
- Willingness to be on-call and work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Background & Experience
- Associate’s or Bachelor's degree required; Masters degree preferred, preferably in Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Social Work or related field
- 3+ years of related experience within a residential life/housing program (including experience with program development and implementation, facility management and staff supervision) or equivalent combination;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a 24-hour/7-day environment with the ability to quickly respond to and handle time-sensitive situations for the entire residence
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively with diverse populations
- This position requires some physical activity, including the ability to do event set up/breakdown and rounds of the residence hall on a regular basis.
- Competitive salary
- Benefits flexible, to be discussed
- Furnished apartment with internet service and utilities
You can find application instructions at the following link: https://launchpadsstudentliving.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=21&source=aWQ9MjQ%3D